My Blog List

Creating Life... and then eating it. Part Two

Subtitled: my own personal backyard oasis.

So, the last time I posted about my amateur gardening efforts, I showed you a nice picture of my 70 something sprouts that I was planning to transplant into my garden. I'm not so proud to announce that despite what I thought were my best efforts, the vast majority of those seedlings have since withered away into oblivion. Shoot.

As a result, I'm moving onto what I am referring to as "Plan B."


Plan B consists of mooching off of the starters that my mother has been able to produce using her super awesome greenhouse and buying the rest from a nursery.

I bought a voucher for plants from a nursery at less than half price (thank you City Deals) and went to collect the other day. I gave half of it to my sister because I might have been responsible for killing her starters. And she made Jane a jean skirt. And I kinda like her.


I have successfully sprouted some Sugar Snap Peas. Hooray for me! These are in one of the kid's pots where we're planting things that they'll like to watch grow and pick themselves later. I have visions of my well behaved children frolicking in our lush garden and joyfully harvesting the fruits of their labors in coordinating outfits. Methinks I might end up being disappointed.

I'm totally ready to get planting, but it keeps snowing! And my backyard is sort of a work in progress at the moment. Mostly, it looks like a junk yard.


Lots of junk back there right now. And very little grass. And no sprinklers. And a large pad with rebar sticking out of it every couple of feet. But we DO have a nice, new, expanded patio....


a very large driveway,


a rockin' playground,


and several cubic yards of manure that literally steams when the sun hits it right. (not pictured)

So perhaps, by the end of the season, it will be something worth looking at. Wish us luck, though, we're gunna need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last 7 Days Popular Posts